Thursday, May 3, 2012

Kentucky Equality Federation President Jordan Palmer takes emergency leave of absence; Vice President Joshua Koch to replace Palmer

RICHMOND, Ky. - Effective May 07, 2012 President Jordan Palmer will relinquish his executive duties at the Kentucky Equality Federation. Palmer is taking an emergency medical leave of absence.

Vice President of Policy & Public Relations Joshua Koch will be assuming Palmer's duties thereby making him the Temporary President in-line with Board Resolutions.

Details of the division of tasks are being finalized over the weekend, but Interim Chairman Todd H. Melton, Jr., and Koch will be working closely with the regional directors, outreach directors and all other volunteers to ensure service continuity.

"We are grateful for the leadership President Palmer has provided," Koch said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with him, and we wish him a speedy recovery. His abilities and input will be sorely missed, but his primary concern has to be his recovery. Despite this setback, we will make every effort to continue the high quality of service."

• Kentucky Equality Federation continues to be very busy this year, handling a number of hate crime and discrimination cases around the commonwealth. Several of the cases in southeastern Kentucky have garnered national attention, including a discrimination case at Hazard Pavilion and a historic hate-crime prosecution that was recently taken over by the U.S. Department of Justice at the direct request of Kentucky Equality Federation President Jordan Palmer.

"My prayers are with President Palmer every single day," stated Louisville-based Central Kentucky Regional Director Jeff Johnson.

"President Palmer is a great man and it is difficult to imagine Kentucky Equality Federation without his dynamic leadership, said Todd H. Melton, Jr., interim Chairman of the Board. "Mr. Palmer truly loves his community and every person he encounters. The Board will coordinate with the Temporary President regarding the complaints and pending lawsuit against the Kentucky Department of Education as well as the Turner hate crime and other issues the Discrimination, Hate Crimes, and School Bullying Committee are investigating."

Read Kentucky Equality Federation President Jordan Palmer's Statement: (.pdf) or (.xps)

5 comments:

Scott said...

I doubt Kentucky Equality Federation will be able to function without the leadership of Jordan Palmer.

Fran Everage said...

This is most assuredly a sad day for equality not only in Kentucky, but for the entire United States. Jordan has been a rabid advocate for human rights and his absence will be palpable. I have a strong admiration for the work that Jordan has done and I aspire to be even HALF the advocate he has been. Thank you, Jordan, for founding Kentucky Equality Federation and being such a loud voice for all of us in the gay community. Your presence will be deeply and sorely missed. I wish you peace and healing. Love you dearly...

Kevin Adams said...

Hope you are well soon so you can continue the fight

Thrish Young said...

Jordan, Evon and I wish you the best, we appreciate the help you have given us, please let us know if we can do anything for you.

Tammy Cornett-Fields said...

Praying for you Jordan. Thank you for all you have done to assure that we are all treated equally.