Monday, July 6, 2009

Kentucky Equality Federation today condemned the allocation of $1.2 million dollars in federal funding to the University of the Cumberlands

Kentucky Equality Federation today condemned the allocation of $1.2 million dollars in federal funding to the University of the Cumberlands.

The funds will be used to help construct a health and wellness center for students, faculty and community members and a new science and technology building for the university. U.S. Representative Hal Rogers (R) requested a total of 4 million dollars for projects at the University of the Cumberlands.

"Kentucky Equality Federation remains opposed to the allocation of public funds to an institution that discriminates against a minority group," stated Kentucky Equality Federation President Jordan Palmer. "If all the citizens of the Commonwealth cannot enjoy the new facilities this money will bring, it must be challenged. Separation of Church and State must be maintained; funding a facility which will reject gay and lesbian people is unacceptable."

Palmer concluded, "Kentucky Equality Federation will investigate all available options with its legal counsel and urge the American Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky to do the same."

Halyn Roth, Kentucky Equality Federation's Regional Director for Southern Kentucky added, "The University of the Cumberlands is an institution of learning and is meant to inspire young minds to become the leaders of tomorrow, but with the backwards policies of the University leaders, they are indeed causing the downfall of progress as we know it."

In 2007 Kentucky Equality Federation co-sponsored the 2007 Soulforce/Equality Ride at the University of the Cumberlands. Dozens of gay and lesbian activists were arrested and community members held signs reading "You Will Be Judged," and "Repent Now," among others. Nick Herweck, now Kentucky Equality Federation's Treasurer spent most of the day directing representatives from Soulforce to the Whitley County Jail to post bond for those arrested.

7 comments:

Chazonator said...

Taxation without representation
When gays are rejected from a publicly funded school, it is taxation without representation, period. While Christians have the right to call gays sinners, they are violating their own believe in "judge not lest ye be judged". Christians do not have the right to receive tax dollars paid by any citizen who is rejected from their public institution for religious reasons. The constitution is very clear about this. This school does not deserve a penny in tax funding until it repents to society for it's refusal to acknowledge and accept the separation between church and state. It's hypocritical to condemn homosexuals while accepting the tax dollars that gays and lesbians are paying into the very system that is supporting this facility. It's like asking churches to pay taxes that contribute to gay bars. It's just plain wrong. Kentuckians should not be financing intolerance. Wake up and smell the new millinium people! Chazonator.com

wendy said...

LovingChristian
I'm sorry for How Stupid you are, how you and others really think it's a choice, My Child didn't Chose to be Gay, but I'm thankful for who he is . I'm proud of my Son, I could never ask for a greater child. Some day when your in Hell (because you really think its a choice, and stupid people go to hell) you may realize how ignorant you really are. Let everyone be happy, love has no race, color, sex, etc. And people DO NOT CHOSE TO BE GAY !! Wow even my two younger children (11, 8 year) know this and they also support there brother and friends, I'm sorry your parents did a terrible job bringing you up to make you think its a choice, they probly also think Black and White cant date, or Black people are bad, or anyone who isn't White is bad. There is enough stuff going on out there that maybe you should be using your energy for and less maybe on picking on the Gay community.

Chase Comer said...

Comment for "LovingChristian"
You are a sick person dude. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone, oh a FUCK YOU!

Halyn said...

I'm not a Christian
It is immoral and wrong for the beliefs of one religion to be imposed upon all of us. I am a card-carrying atheist, and I resent this idea that I have to believe in Christian morals because they happen to be in the majority.

LovingChristian said...

The separation of church and state is a legal and political principle derived from the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, which reads, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof "

The state is giving UC money - not making a law against them or in their favor. Let them receive the money. It IS constitutional AND it IS LEGAL!!! Our ELECTED representative has chosen to give money to a group... yes religious and no they do not agree with you... that doesn't mean it is illegal... quit bantering UC of everything they do.

Homosexuality is a sin. I believe it and Broadwell Baptist believes it. They condone it. University of the Cumberlands does not. God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah because those people CHOSE to live a condemning lifestyle. They were not born that way. They were born human and succeptable to temptation. Homosexuality is a sin and a very tempting lifestyle to many people. God didn't create them to be gay. They were created to have to chose between right and wrong. Not everyone is tempted by the same thing... some are tempted by Alcoholism, some are tempted by lust and adultery, some are tempted with gossip, envy, greed, and yes, even homosexuality. There are no groups out there to support The Alcoholics of KY, and the Pedophiles of America, or the American Swingers and polygamists. Why a group that supports homosexuality?? Why do we as christians allow these groups to banter us and bring us down. No MORE!! Christians stand and take strength in the lord and oppose those that promote homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle.

In Matthew 7 Christ tells us that we will know the difference between Christian and non-Christians by the fruit they produce (*their actions*). He teaches us not to judge unless you want to be judged but tells us to seperate ourselves based upon actions. Someone chosing to live a sinful lifestyle with no remorse does not display the actions of a christian.

Christians do sin and some even live in it... the differece is a christian will feel remorse and will seek improvement and forgiveness and not intentionally mettle in their sins with no remorse.

God goes on to teach through Paul in 1 Cor 5 that we as the Church are NOT to judge outsiders but someone who wants to be part of the church and participate in the ministries of the church we HAVE to judge and REMOVE ANY WICKED MAN FROM AMONG YOURSELVES (that's a direct quote!!) A person who commits a sin should be confronted. If that person believes it is a sin and wants to turn from it, the church should help them. If they DO NOT believe it is a sin the church should remove them.

University of the Cumberlands has done NO wrong and neither has Hal Rogers. I applaud University of the Cumberlands and the SBA.

To all homosexual individuals: I do not hate you nor does christianity, the church, UC, the SBA, God, or Hal Rogers. We love you and want the best for you. If you disagree with us that is okay. We can live in harmony and I will befriend you and treat you like my family. But do not ask to be part of my church or ministry and claim to only believe part of the Bible. I actually have multiple members of my family that are gay. I DO NOT condone their actions nor do I allow them to work alongside me in ministry. I allow them into everyother aspect of my life just as Christ would. I will not preach hate towards LGBT nor will I treat them any different than any other person. I will confront ALL individuals living in sin and let them know I love them, God loves them, and there are better ways to enjoy life and the happiness God brings to it.

LovingChristian said...

The separation of church and state is a legal and political principle derived from the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, which reads, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof "

The state is giving UC money - not making a law against them or in their favor. Let them receive the money. It IS constitutional AND it IS LEGAL!!! Our ELECTED representative has chosen to give money to a group... yes religious and no they do not agree with you... that doesn't mean it is illegal... quit bantering UC of everything they do.

Homosexuality is a sin. I believe it and Broadwell Baptist believes it. They condone it. University of the Cumberlands does not. God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah because those people CHOSE to live a condemning lifestyle. They were not born that way. They were born human and succeptable to temptation. Homosexuality is a sin and a very tempting lifestyle to many people. God didn't create them to be gay. They were created to have to chose between right and wrong. Not everyone is tempted by the same thing... some are tempted by Alcoholism, some are tempted by lust and adultery, some are tempted with gossip, envy, greed, and yes, even homosexuality. There are no groups out there to support The Alcoholics of KY, and the Pedophiles of America, or the American Swingers and polygamists. Why a group that supports homosexuality?? Why do we as christians allow these groups to banter us and bring us down. No MORE!! Christians stand and take strength in the lord and oppose those that promote homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle.

In Matthew 7 Christ tells us that we will know the difference between Christian and non-Christians by the fruit they produce (*their actions*). He teaches us not to judge unless you want to be judged but tells us to seperate ourselves based upon actions. Someone chosing to live a sinful lifestyle with no remorse does not display the actions of a christian.

Christians do sin and some even live in it... the differece is a christian will feel remorse and will seek improvement and forgiveness and not intentionally mettle in their sins with no remorse.

God goes on to teach through Paul in 1 Cor 5 that we as the Church are NOT to judge outsiders but someone who wants to be part of the church and participate in the ministries of the church we HAVE to judge and REMOVE ANY WICKED MAN FROM AMONG YOURSELVES (that's a direct quote!!) A person who commits a sin should be confronted. If that person believes it is a sin and wants to turn from it, the church should help them. If they DO NOT believe it is a sin the church should remove them.

University of the Cumberlands has done NO wrong and neither has Hal Rogers. I applaud University of the Cumberlands and the SBA.

To all homosexual individuals: I do not hate you nor does christianity, the church, UC, the SBA, God, or Hal Rogers. We love you and want the best for you. If you disagree with us that is okay. We can live in harmony and I will befriend you and treat you like my family. But do not ask to be part of my church or ministry and claim to only believe part of the Bible. I actually have multiple members of my family that are gay. I DO NOT condone their actions nor do I allow them to work alongside me in ministry. I allow them into everyother aspect of my life just as Christ would. I will not preach hate towards LGBT nor will I treat them any different than any other person. I will confront ALL individuals living in sin and let them know I love them, God loves them, and there are better ways to enjoy life and the happiness God brings to it.

LovingChristian said...